Not all mold is harmful, but Stachybotrys, or black mold, definitely is. Black mold and certain other types of mold produce what are called mycotoxins. These mycotoxins can lead to mild symptoms like nasal irritation, burning and congestion, coughing, wheezing and chest tightness, headaches, irritability, lightheadedness, sleeping difficulties, concentration problems, and mental fatigue – just to name a few.
However, mycotoxins can also lead to major symptoms like toxic mold syndrome, depression, anxiety, insomnia, chronic inflammatory response (CIRS), and various auto-immune disorders. There are even some indications that prolonged exposure to mycotoxins may lead to certain types of cancer. That’s why if you suspect you have black mold in your home, commercial building or work place, it’s worth the time to have a professional perform an air quality test to verify.